Rooftop Vibes and Fine Bites
Situated directly in Downtown Napa, AVOW offers some of the only rooftop seating with great views and tasty food. Much of the food is locally sourced, like their bread from a local bakery, or caviar from Thomas Keller’s (well-known local chef from the French Laundry) caviar brand.
I highly recommend sitting up on the top floor if weather permits. Most of the seats have a great view over Main Street and the Veteran’s Park. There is always something going on, and it can be fun to people watch, or just enjoy the breeze.
There are so many options at AVOW which makes it great to go with a group of friends. Whether you are interested in mushroom calamari or roasted bone marrow, they have both. The marrow comes complete with local model bakery bread, and a dijon vinaigrette. Feeling crazy? Add a whiskey luge to top it off (taking a shot through the empty bone!).
If you prefer to start with the raw bar, consider the oysters and caviar. But if you are looking for even more flavor the oysters with Calabrian chile, green garlic butter, and herb breadcrumbs are to die for. Another amazing option is the pine cone-cured trout tartare. I may just love tartare, but with different flavors like avocado, rhubarb creme fraiche (house-made), and smoked trout roe, this is a special dish.
After you start your meal with this you will have the option to dive into vegetable, seafood, or meat-forward dishes.
Sirved Must-Try Dishes:
- Cheese or charcuterie board: Start off your meal and accompany some local Napa Valley wine with one of the boards. They come with either cured meats or crafted cheese, as well as nuts, honey, fruits, or pickled veg and mustard.
- Cauliflower steak: Most non-vegans don’t tend to order a cauliflower steak, but this one is different. It comes with romesco and mustard greens. Along with Marcona almonds and confit garlic oil. It is very hearty and will fill you up while staying lighter.
- Scallops: I usually go for the scallops, and the AVOW scallops are pretty great. With a polenta agnolotti on the bottom as well as romesco sauce, chorizo (I sub this out), and egg yolk, it is quite a hearty dish. Compared to scallops I typically order this filled me up.
- Burnt cheesecake: This is a must for anyone who likes cheesecake. Different than your standard cheesecake, it comes with macerated strawberries and sorrel. Different flavors than you might be used to, but they accompany the cheesecake quite well.
- Strip steak: Although I have not tried any of the red meat on the menu, they do offer a 12oz Wagyu NY Strip steak for meat lovers.
AVOW is in a special location, having been a historical restaurant for years, and a popular restaurant before that. With old touches throughout the building, it feels like an experience after walking in from downtown Napa. If you make it upstairs be sure to check out the wall of masks. These are the faces of the employees from the restaurant, having been cast before its opening!
Explore AVOW’s menu in Napa, California here.